Those excluded from the NRC are to be shited to these detention centers. One such detention centre is being built in the Goalpara district in Assam.
The Assam Authorities heading The National Register of Citizens on Tuesday asked deputy commissioners across the state to delete names of “ineligible persons” from the document.
The NRC, published in August last year under the direct supervision of the Supreme Court, excluded 19 lakh-odd applicants out of around 3.3 crore applicants.
Total erroneous inclusions still not figured out
“Some names of ineligible persons found entry to the NRC,” said NRC coordinator Hitesh Dev Sarma in his letter to the deputy commissioners. These “ineligible persons” include those declared foreigners by the Foreigners Tribunals (DF), those marked as Doubtful Voters (DV) by the election officials, or persons whose cases are pending at Foreigners Tribunals (PFTs) and their descendants.
Sarma instructed the district incharges of NRC to do the verification which would require the correct identity of the person so that no ambiguity arises in future so far as the identification of the person is concerned.
Sarma didn't talk about the total count of erroneous inclusions as the lists from different districts were still coming up. He insisted on waiting till the complete list gets formulated.
The list is flawed: Assam Govt
The order came off the bat of Assam Government's persistent demand of re-verification — 20% in border districts and 10% elsewhere — of the included names in the final NRC.
“We want a correct NRC… The NRC just completed is flawed,” Assam Chief Sarbananda Sonowal had said at a rally earlier this month adding that the government’s appeal seeking re-verification is still pending at the SC.
The NRC was first published in 1951 and was updated to exclude those who may have illegally entered Assam via Bangladesh after March 25, 1971.
There are several discrepancies surrounding the NRC, including lack of a synchronised real-time database which reflects the status of a suspected “foreigner” to the NRC officials.
The former NRC list received flak for striking Bengali Hindus out as they happen to be the ruling party's biggest voter bank.
The NRC process has been deadlocked since the rejection orders to the 19 lakh excluded persons–which will allow them to appeal against the exclusion in the Foreigners’ Tribunals –is yet to come out. Covid crisis has been cited as the main reason for the delay as per the officials.