Chinese tennis star claims to be safe in a video call with an IOC official.



Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai making headlines these days but this time not for her sport.

A few weeks ago Peng Shuai accused former vice-premier Zhang Gaoli of coercing her into sex at his home and molesting her for almost a decade. She wrote on Weibo(a Chinese social platform).


Although within a few minutes it was deleted by censors and Peng's accounts were scrubbed from the Chinese internet. But a screenshot of her post spread like fire not only in China but across the world.


The Chinese star went on missing and disappeared from public view after accusing a top Chinese leader.


Since then where is Peng Shuai? Gripped the attention of the sports world and the United State as well.


Steve Simon, the chief executive of the WTA tour, called on Chinese authorities to investigate the allegation of sexual assault.

"If at the end of the day, we don't see the appropriate results from this, we would be prepared to take that step and operate our business in China if that's what it came to".


Her absence triggered widespread concern, with international sports stars and the government. Her fellow tennis star like Naomi Osaka, Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, Serena Williams demanded her safety, well-being, and word from her.


Well, International Olympic Committee was under immense pressure because it is going to host the Winter Olympics in Beijing.


IOC President Thomas Bach spoke to ms peng on a video call for 30 min on Sunday. she said, she was fine and safe Olympics committee says.


She explained that she is living at her home in Beijing, but would like to have her privacy respected at this time.


She prefers to spend her time with friends and family right now, nevertheless, she will continue to be involved in tennis.


The IOC statement also included an image of the video call taking place, with Ms. Peng seen smiling at the camera.






4 views0 comments