The fire broke out at Sadguru hospital on Monday afternoon
On August 24, the 150- bed Sadguru hospital was declared a COVID-19 dedicated facility which had 127 patients. Out of which 40 patients were undergoing treatment in the ICU ward.
All 127 patients were safely evacuated after a fire broke out in the ICU ward of the hospital which is located in Jagatpur town of Cuttack district.
The fire is believed to be caused by a short circuit. The reason is yet to be confirmed. The Director of Sadguru hospital Rahul Pratyush Mohanty said, “There was a spark and then smoke filled up the entire ward. All the hospital staff sprung into action to evacuate the patients, specially those in a critical condition. Everyone was timely evacuated and has been moved to other hospitals.” Mohanty was injured while breaking the windows open to save the patients with the help of ladders.
All the patients were shifted to other hospitals in Cuttack and Bhubaneswar. The health minister has demanded an investigation into the matter. Health Minister Naba Kishore Das stated, “I have sought a joint report from the Odisha fire services and Chief Medical Officer. Necessary actions will be taken if any kind of violations are reported. The hospital should restart in a couple of days.
Fire audits were completed for all the hospitals, but this incident was unfortunate and will be looked into.”