Nowadays everyone is extremely conscious regarding their diets. If we look a few years back we will see mostly women used to perform dieting for maintaining their body. But at present both men and women are equally participating to decrease their body weight and to maintain a proper diet.
So, today I'm going to share a very healthy and tasty food which you can consume if you're dieting. Today's healthy and tasty recipe is Rajma Quinoa Biryani.
What is Quinoa?
Quinoa is a pseudo-cereal originally grown in South America. This means it's a seed that is eaten like a grain and hence is considered to be allowed in grain-free meals. Quinoa has a high amount of fiber, though a majority of this is insoluble fiber, the fiber content helps in improving constipation and managing blood cholesterol. It also one of the few plant-based sources to have a complete protein having all the nine essential amino acids. It is hence a great source of protein, especially for vegetarians and vegans. Quinoa also has a low GI compared to other simple or complex carbohydrates. It is a great source of minerals like magnesium and has a beneficial impact on metabolic health and reducing blood sugar levels.
Due to its high fiber and protein content, a small portion can easily fill you up. In comparison, rice gets easily digested and has a low amount of protein or fiber. You end up eating greater portions of rice to feel satiated which leads to overeating, sugar rush, low energy, bloating, low metabolic activity, and weight gain. Quinoa’s benefits are enhanced when soaked and sprouted. Hence quinoa is an important and necessary ingredient to have in your store cupboard.
This recipe is very easy and quick to make so not making furthermore delay let us know how to cook this delicious meal.
• Preparation time : 15 minutes
• Cooking time : 30 minutes
• Serving : 4 people
• 2 cups Rajma/ Red Beans Cooked
• 1 cup quinoa preferably white quinoa
• 1 cup coconut milk
• 1 cup water
• 1 tsp garam masala
• 2 tsp Salt or to taste
• 1 Tbsp ghee or coconut oil
• 1-inch Cinnamon
• 4 cloves
• 4 green cardamom
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 tsp Fennel Seeds optional
• 2 Tbsp Coriander leaves 5-6 sprigs
• 2 Tbsp Fresh mint leaves
• 1 large onion
• 6 cloves garlic
• 1-inch piece ginger
• 2 medium Tomatoes
• 1 Green chili
For the Garnish
• 1/2 medium onion finely sliced
• 1 Tbsp Cashews
• 1 tsp ghee or Coconut oil
1. Soak the quinoa for at least half an hour and then drain. While it's soaking grind all the ingredients under the grind section and convert it into a thick puree. If you don't have a high-powered blender before adding onions and tomatoes chop them into small pieces.
2. Heat the ghee or coconut oil in a medium-sized, thick-bottomed vessel or pan to medium heat. Then add all the ingredients under the Temper list. Make sure ghee is not too hot before adding any ingredients as it will burn all the spices. Lightly stir till fennel seeds start spluttering and turn golden brown.
3. Add the ground onion and tomato puree to the golden spices and stir thoroughly. Cover and leave to cook on medium heat. It is ready when there is no raw smell of the onions and garlic, it has turned a darker shade of gold and has reduced down in volume. This may take about 10 minutes.
4. Now add the garam masala powder and stir together. Next, add the soaked and washed quinoa, the cooked rajma or red beans, coconut milk, water, and salt. Stir together till well combined. When it starts bubbling, reduce the heat to a low simmer, cover, and leave to cook for exactly 15 minutes. Stir once or twice to ensure the spices do not get stuck at the bottom.
5. While the quinoa biryani is cooking, on a small pan dry roast the cashew till light golden brown and keep it aside. Heat the ghee and add the finely sliced onions, keep stirring it on low heat till it reduces and becomes caramelized and slightly crunchy. After it becomes caramelized pour it into a bowl and keep it aside.
6. Once 15 minutes are up to the timer take the Rajma quinoa biryani of the heat and leave it covered for 10 minutes. Do not be tempted to stir it. It will be wet but it will slowly absorb the excess liquids. After leaving it untouched, fluff up the quinoa biryani and transfer it to the serving bowl. Now to garnish add the toasted cashews and caramelized onions and some fresh coriander.
Serve hot with a crunchy carrot, onion, and cucumber raita.
So, it was the most healthy, tasty, and delicious recipe. Everyone must try this recipe.