Lack of knowledge causes mushrooms to grow inside a man


Psychedelic mushrooms, which grow in the dark, started sprouting in a man's bloodstream after being injected directly.


In the US, a 30-year-old man was hospitalized with multiple organ failure after injecting "magic" mushrooms directly into his blood.


This unusual and risky situation is described as a case report in the Journal of the Academy of Consultation-Liason Psychiatry. His family brought him to a Nebraska emergency room, soon after realizing that something was wrong. According to the doctors, the man had bipolar disorder type 1. He had been experiencing maniac and depressive episodes due to the lack of taking his medications. During his recent episodes, he came across how to decrease his opium use at home. Doctors stated he had tried to use the "magic" mushrooms as an alternative treatment, skipping his normal medications.


"Magic" mushrooms or psychedelic mushrooms contain psilocybin. Research has shown that psilocybin could be a treatment for people with depression, for whom normal medications do not seem to be successful. But, no research recommends injecting this drug directly into the blood. Psychedelic mushrooms are used indirectly, as a powder- swallowed either through tea or capsule.


The case study suggests that the man boiled the mushrooms in water, filtered the tea through a cotton swab, and injected it into his bloodstream. This unwise step soon caused him tiredness, vomiting blood, jaundice, diarrhea, and nausea. After being aware of his condition, the family admitted him into the hospital.

What doctors have to say?

After tests, doctors found out that he had a liver injury, his kidneys were not functioning properly and he was having organ failure. Psychedelic mushrooms grow in dark places. Doctors were shocked seeing the blood sample, which revealed that the mushrooms had started growing in the darkness of his bloodstream. He was soon put on a ventilator due to difficulty in breathing. The case report also mentioned that he had his blood filtered for toxins.


The doctors gave him antibodies and antifungals to stop the growth of the mushrooms. The man had to spend 22 days in the hospital, three in the intensive care unit. Though he has survived, yet it was a dangerous and naive thing to do. Doctors stated more awareness regarding psychedelic mushrooms and psilocybin is required.

8 views0 comments