War between Azerbaijan and Armenia flare up


Russia warned against Nagorno-Karabakh.

On Tuesday, a new appeal was issued by the Kremlin in order to end the hostilities happening in and around Nagorno-Karabakh. The appeal was issued just after the release of the statement of Moscow's foreign intelligence chief, stating that the mountain enclave could become a launchpad for the Islamist militants for entering Russia.

As the deadly fighting between ethnic Armenian and Azeri forces entered a 10th day, Moscow expressed alarm. It was also said by the French news agency that Armenia had offered concessions only if Azerbaijan was ready to do so.

While the French news agency, AFP did not give any details of the offer which has been made by Armenia's Prime Minister. It has been said by Azerbaijan that the fighting will only be stopped if the opposition sets a timetable to withdraw from Nagorno-Karabakh, as it lawfully belongs to them but is still populated and governed by the Armenians.

While the spokesmen of the Kremlin, Dmitry Peskov called for the fighting to stop, Sergei Lavrov, Russia's Foreign Minister voiced serious concern about the escalation during a phone call with the foreign minister of Iran.

The conflict was thus said to be attracting mercenaries and terrorists from the Middle East, according to the head of Russia`s SVR Foreign Intelligence Service.

He also warned that militants could enter states including Russia from the South Caucasus region, while it could become a new launchpad for the international terrorist organisations. These comments were released as soon as Moscow was urged to be more active in peacemaking by the Turkish Foreign Minister, Mevlut Cavusoglu.

The efforts led by France, the United States, and Russia have failed to prevent the sporadic bursts of fighting in Nagorno-Karabakh.

Turkey and Russia are at stake to be sucked into the South Caucasus conflict, due to the defense pact with Armenia, as the renewed fighting has started from 27th September. On Tuesday Iran's President Hassan Rouhani highlighted the importance of peace in the region via a phone call with the leader of Azerbaijan, Ilham Aliyev.

An attack with tanks and artillery was launched by Azerbaijan on a southern part of the contact line which divides ethnic Armenian and Azeri forces, in the latest fighting. While four cluster bombs had exploded in the center of Stepanakert, the main administrative center of Nagorno-Karabakh.


It has been reported by the Azerbaijan forces that the cities if Azerbaijan has been struck outside the conflict zone, in order to take the fighting closer to the territory from the pipelines where gas and oil are carried to Europe from Azerbaijan. Both sides deny targeting civilians while blaming each other for hitting civilian areas. Nagorno-Karabakh stated that 244 of its servicemen and 19 civilians had been killed while many more wounded, since the 27th if September.

10 views0 comments